MY 3 TIPS FOR GLOWING SKIN
1. Water, lots of it. I know you’re probably all rolling your eyes and shaking your heads at me but this really is my number 1 tried and tested, most effective formula for clear, glowing skin. I feel at my best when I’m consuming around 3ltrs per day however the magic number is different for everyone, depending on physiology, activity levels, environment etc.
Here are a few guidelines you could follow to make sure you’re getting enough fluids.
… The old faithful ‘8 glasses per day’.
… You could aim for four 500ml to 750ml bottles spread out over the day as;
- 1st between waking and 11:00am
- 2nd between 11:00 and 2:00pm
- 3rd between 2:00pm and 5:00pm
- 4th between 5:00pm and bedtime.
… Or you could just aim to chug a full 2ltr bottle by the end of the day.
All of these methods will ensure you stay properly hydrated, looking (as well as feeling) the best you possibly can!
2. A diet rich in good fats. Thank god there has been a backlash against the whole ‘fats are bad’ debacle. I think the majority of us now know that we need a good healthy dose of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (along with omega 3’s) in our diet. As well as protecting our heart and supporting our overall health and well being they really have an effect on the appearance of our skin and a diet lacking in healthy fats will leave us looking way beyond our years.
How to fill our diets with the right types of fat and avoid the bad kinds such as saturated and trans-saturated fats;
Aim to eat more;
- Nuts and nut butters
- Oils such as olive oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil (especially great for our skin due to high levels of vitamin E).
- Fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines and tuna.
Aim to eat less;
- Commercially baked products, such as doughnuts, cakes, pastries and biscuits.
- Packaged foods
- Fried foods
3. Calcium Bentonite clay. This ishhh is amazing!! The properties of live clay mean that it has an amazing ability to draw out toxins and dirt from pores, making it an effective treatment for all kinds of skin issues such as acne, blemishes, cellulite and eczema. It’s also natural and much cheaper than your conventional store-bought masks and treatments.
I am actually just about to mix up my own calcium bentonite clay mask in preparation for my shoot tomorrow! (I use ‘Aztec Indian Healing Clay’ which seems to have the best reviews etc, you can buy it here. )