THE BIG BREAKFAST
The demands of swimming are such that you can burn a crazy amount of calories per swim and if you want to continue getting stronger and faster, it’s so important that you fuel and refuel correctly. This post swim breakfast is a firm favourite of mine, not only is it ridiculously tasty but it will actually keep you full past 10am, unlike many of it’s counterparts! The carbohydrates replenish the glycogen stores in your muscles and liver, that have been depleted during your swim. The eggs and salmon will provide the protein to help repair and rebuild your muscles, along with the avocado they are also a great source of essential fatty acids that are needed for a whole host of metabolic processes. A diet slightly higher in ‘good fats’ has also been shown to increase satiety and help keep us feeling fuller for longer, something that I know all swimmers who have felt ‘that’ hunger, will appreciate.
- Smoked Salmon
- Bread (We used sourdough)
- Cooking Spray and / or butter
- Micro greens
- Milk (A teeny bit – Can be left out, if you’d prefer!)
- Cracked black pepper
Directions (This one is super self-explanatory but in the interest of being thorough, here goes…)
- Grab a jug and add in your eggs, a splash of milk and plenty of cracked black pepper. Whisk all together.
- Heat a skillet pan over medium / high heat, add your cooking spray.
- Pour in eggs, keep and eye on them and keep whisking every so often so that stay nice and light and fluffy. If you forget, they will end up looking more like and omelette which is not the desired effect!
- Throw your toast in the toaster and slice up your avocado.
- When it’s done, smear on a little butter. I try to stay away from the fake (and nasty) margarines and prefer to just use a little of the real thing!
- Place eggs on top of the toast, add on a couple of slices of smoked salmon, now the avocado and finally top with micro greens and maybe a little more cracked black pepper.
- Voila! Enjoy!
This dish is super simple but oh so effective! Just writing this post and looking at those images is making me hungry! Must be my cue for lunch!
Let me know what you think, if you try it!
// This post is sponsored by Speedo, however all content and opinions are my own.