WILD RICE, CHICKEN & VEGGIES
This is a super simple, super clean, quick easy & healthy dinner. You can swap out the protein source for whatever you’d prefer, we often use salmon. It’s the perfect dinner to have when you know you have to be up for swimming at some ungodly hour in the morning! The wild rice takes a little longer to prepare than your usual white rice but I think it tastes so much better! I like to enhance the nutty flavour and texture of the rice by adding things like chopped walnuts into the mix just before I serve it. This also results in some added plant based omega 3 fats, along with copper, manganese, biotin and molybdenum.
- Chicken (Or your chosen source of lean protein)
- Wild Rice (As many servings as you need)
- Vegetable Stock
- Seasoning of your choice (I use a herb mix, be careful not to use one that is full of salt, the stock should contain all the sodium you need)
- Chopped Walnuts (Optional extra)
- Get some water boiling in a pan for your rice. Add stock, stir through then add rice. The rice will take roughly 20 minutes and you should stir through every 5 mins or so to make sure it doesn’t stick! Add water as and when needed!
- Whilst the rice is cooking, heat a tiny bit of oil in a skillet pan and begin to cook your chicken breasts. I add in a generous helping of mixed herbs, you can use whatever seasoning you prefer.
- When the chicken is almost cooked I add the tomatoes and asparagus stalks to the skillet, they will only need 5 minutes or so, turn the asparagus stalks so that they have a couple of minutes on each side.
- When the rice is done, most of the stock water should have been absorbed but drain any excess and then stir through a couple of massive handfuls of fresh spinach, it will wilt on it’s own.
- I then serve the rice onto two plates, top with the asparagus stalks, then the chicken and finally the tomatoes. Super, super simple!
If you do try this meal we would love to what you think! Snap a pic and share on instagram using the hashtag;
// This post is sponsored by Speedo however all ideas and opinions are my own.