HOMEMADE FISH PIE
I think the very first time I made this I followed one of Jamie Oliver’s recipes, since then I have made this probably more than 50 times and it has adapted and changed over the years. It’s one of my favourite recipes when I want something hearty, filling and full of goodness but also something that’s not too heavy on the stomach. In my opinion it is the perfect athlete fuel / refuel thanks to the combination of protein, carbohydrate & fat, along with all of the vitamins from the fresh veggies. This definitely isn’t the stodgy, plain version you may have tried growing up!
(When I make this, I use the biggest tray I can find, I then portion it up and freeze for later.)
- Fish Mix – I use around 3 packets of mixed fish (around 350g / 400g per packet. If you can get to a fish market and source your fish there, even better! Go for a mix of white fish, smoked white fish and salmon. You could use whatever you prefer though!)
- Sweet Potatos – 2 Large
- Baking Potatoes – 2 Large
- Celeriac – 1 Large
- Carrots – 1 Large
- Courgette – 1 Large
- Plum tomatoes – 200g
- Cheddar Cheese – As much or as little as you like – I personally think
- Spinach – 2 Massive handfuls (This will cook down to nothing so don’t be shy!)
- Lemon – 1 Lemon
- Parsley – Around 25g (A full packet, from most supermarkets)
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil – Amounts will vary depending on how big your tray is but I just pour generously from the bottle.
- Butter & Milk for the mash – Optional
- Boil some water and peel / chop your potatoes, sweet potatoes and celeriac. Pop these onto cook.
- Preheat your oven to 200c.
- Now take your tray and add all the fish.
- Grate the carrot and courgette onto the top of the fish.
- Chop up your parsley and your plum tomatoes, grate your cheddar and put to one side.
- Now add your tomatoes, spinach, parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper to the fish / veggie mix.
- Take your lemon and grate off as much zest as you can, add to the fish mix.
- Now squeeze the juice from the lemon over the fish mix, being careful to avoid any pips.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Now top with half of your grated cheddar.
- When your potatoes are soft, drain and mash like you would normally, adding a little milk and butter if you like, along with some salt and pepper.
- Spread your mash on top of your fish mix.
- Then layer on the rest of your cheddar cheese and a little more pepper.
- Pop in the oven for around 30 / 40 minutes (this will vary oven to oven, so keep an eye on it from at least 30 mins in)
- Voila! This is SO good!!!
Let me know what you guys think if you try this! It’s literally one of my favourite meals!
// This post was created in collaboration with Speedo but all ideas and opinions are my own.