I know everyone and their dog is saying this but I can’t quite believe it’s almost Christmas! 2017 really has gone by in the blink of an eye, hasn’t it? If, like me, you have spent a large part of 2017 surgically attached to your tech (come on now, be honest), why not take the next few days, the next couple of weeks even, and enjoy a Christmas digital detox.
It’s a widely accepted opinion that most people need to spend less time on their phones but for those of us working in the digital industry, scrolling through Instagram, replying to comments, tweeting, creating and sharing content… it’s a constant, 24/7 endeavor. You might occasionally work a Sunday, we always work a Sunday. Sure, it’s all fun but it’s still work, as in, it’s what we get paid to do. People go on holiday to take a breather from their chosen profession but whatever far-flung location we choose, we’re pretty much always still doing all of the above, so when do we actually get a break?
Unless it’s self-enforced, my guess is never.
I’ve become pretty good at slowing down on the weekends but I know that it’s hurt my engagement, thank you algorithm. It’s got me wondering though, whether an actual two week holiday or similar, would be better for me mentally and financially. Instead of half switching off (sort-of-but-not-really) every weekend, why not just take total holidays at strategic points throughout the year?
Definitely something to think about for 2018.
For everyone that feels like they need a little break from tech over Christmas…
5 TOP TIPS FOR A CHRISTMAS DIGITAL DETOX
- Plan some content ahead of time. Of course, there are things that you’ll want to share over the festive period but if your job relies on you pushing out content, get organised and create it ahead of time. I’ve talked about Coschedule before and it really is worth the investment. Also, don’t stress too much about flooding your channels with content, everyone’s too busy eating and drinking to be reading blogs.
- Turn off your notifications and move all apps to the back of your phone.
- If you know your willpower is weak, take it a step further and just delete all the social apps from your phone. For those that find themselves scrolling through Insta without even remembering picking up their phone, if you want a hardcore detox, just get rid of temptation. You can always reinstall the apps as soon as you feel thoroughly digitally detoxed and after you’ve spent some quality time with those actually IN the room.
- Leave your phone in another room. You’ll more than likely be so engrossed in that game of boggle with your Nan, endless Christmas films and laughs with your fam, that you’ll forget all about your phone.
- Go out for a long pre (or post) Christmas dinner walk and leave the tech at home.
Honestly, your brain will thank you for a little Christmas digital detox and let’s be real, pretty much any and all notifications pinging through over the festive period can wait.