A little maintenance can go a long way when it comes to your blog and digital footprint! There’s nothing worse than trying to navigate sites with endless broken links, out of date bio’s, broken plugins etc… You get the idea. It looks messy and definitely puts readers off from coming back. So to help avoid all of that, here’s a quick rundown of how to give your blog a makeover and help yourself and your site look (and feel) that bt more professional.
GIVE YOUR BLOG A MAKEOVER IN 5 EASY STEPS
- Clean up any old broken links. Don’t worry it’s not as painful as it sounds, there are plugins that will scan your entire site and let you know exactly what you need to do. Some links will just need updating, some you can just delete. This applies to you especially if you like to do gift guides and product shoutouts etc as when products go out of stock, so do their links. I use ‘Broken Link Checker’ and it works a treat.
- Speaking of plugins, make sure you update yours regularly so that you’re running the most current versions which will ensure your site looks exactly the way you intended it to.
- Update your personal bio. I’ll hold my hand up and admit to not updating ours for a couple of years and when I finally got around to editing it I couldn’t believe how much had changed (Dan and I bought our first house, I quit my dietetics degree and co-founded Get To KNOW, the list goes on…) and how inaccurate the information was that I was putting out for all the world to see. Although saying that, it was quite cool to see that our mission statement for Break The Loop hadn’t changed at all! Spending a little time here is really worth it, our About Us page is one of our most viewed.
- Freshen up your photography. Whilst you might have a way with words and always have something to say, bad photos are only going to put people off from reading, sadly. If you really have no idea how to create that blog perfect image then think about finding someone that can. With it being tax season, if cash is too tight to hire a photographer you could skill swap or call in a favour from a friend, you’ll be so glad you did.
- Play around with your template or if you’re feeling really daring, get creative with code. If the idea of code brings you out in a cold sweat, don’t worry, most blog templates / themes allow some level of easy customisation so why not try something new? You could switch to a different layout, try a new font, logo or colour scheme… Even the simplest of changes will have you looking at your blog in a whole new light.
If creatively, you’re stuck in a bit of a rut, a little change of appearance can be all the inspiration you need to get writing again. Think of this process as the new haircut after a breakup.
Spring is definitely in the air so what better time to have a digital spring clean!? Give your blog a makeover and see what fresh inspiration strikes.