HEARTY WINTER SALAD
This is a wintery version of your typical hot salad and probably one of the most delicious, moreish (yet healthy) things I have eaten in a long while! Both Dan and I hovered over this plate with two forks, demolishing it in the space of about a minute whilst emitting lots of satisfied mmm’s and ahhh’s… *chomp chomp* etc etc.
Throughout the summer I always seem to forget how much I love the simple dish of caramelised onions roasted with sprouts and pancetta, preferably in coconut oil… It’s SO good. I lightly steamed the bed of kale but you could massage it, if you’d prefer. I then topped with a large helping of goats cheese and crushed walnuts. Perfection.
- Pancetta chunks
- Goats Cheese
- Fresh Chives
- Coconut Oil
- Cracked Black Pepper
- I heat some coconut oil in a skillet and then add my chopped onions. Sweat these slowly over a low to medium heat for about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Whilst the onions are caramelising, I blanche the sprouts quickly, just a couple of minutes in boiling water will soften them enough, ready to be cooked through properly in the skillet.
- Then I drain the sprouts and add them, the chopped chives and the pancetta bits to the skillet with the onion. I let this cook slowly until you get some delicious crispy bits of onion and pancetta.
- Whilst this is cooking I lightly steamed my kale, you don’t need a steamer pan just find one with a lid, add a tiny bit of water to the pan, throw in the kale then put the lid on and steam for about 3 minutes. Keep a close eye to make sure all the water doesn’t boil away and leave your kale burnt to the bottom of the pan. Drain any excess water there may be and place on the bottom of your plate.
- Now take all of your scrummy onions, sprouts and pancetta and layer onto your bed of kale.
- Finally add your goats cheese and crushed walnuts and season with some freshly cracked black pepper.
If you try this recipe make sure to let us know what you think! Also don’t forget to snap a picture and share using the hashtag;
We can’t wait to see what you create!
// This post was sponsored by Speedo but all ideas and opinions are my own.
I am making this next week! I never like to eat salad when the weather gets this cold – but this I could do!
Ah yay! Love that! 🙂 Really wasn’t sure how this one would go down… sprouts tend to divide people! Kind of like marmite! Haha! Def let me know what you think if you make it! xx